Tuesday 4 September 2012

Here's why I'm going three days without any food part I

At first I dismissed it as a fad, but then more and more people started raving about it, and then I saw that there was genuine science behind it with proper Academics in white coats and interesting moustaches.

In the Fitness Industry they say don't be the first to try something, but don't be the last.

So since fasting is gaining so much popularity, I decided it's time to experience what it's all about.

It started a few weeks ago with a simple twenty four hour fast. That felt fine, I had no problem with it and so decided to up the ante and go for a three day fast.

So you may have guessed I am no fasting expert, but I have read around, and tomorrow I will try to give you a brief over view of the science behind fasting, but first I thought I would just give you my personal reasons.

I am fasting for improved discipline, I love food, but I also like to be in control. By going without food, I am able to prove to myself that I don't need to panic and wolf something down every time I am hungry. I also prove to myself that all food is enjoyable, right now its the end of my first day and I would love a salad!

I am fasting to enjoy food more. I am not planning on fasting for ever! just a few days out of my life and then I can go back to eating again, but this time I will be able to appreciate the food more. At first I wont be eating anything unhealthy, in fact I am spending the next thirty days completely eliminating alcohol, sugar, gluten and processed foods. When I return to eating any of those foods I will probably enjoy them more too. Without feeling the need to go nuts.

Its a bit like how you enjoy a simple glass of water more when you are thirsty and its a hot day.

I am fasting for the spiritual aspect. I am often so caught up in the day to day that I have lost touch with just being, feeling and taking joy through the moment. So by taking away the joy from food, I am sought to look for it elsewhere, that's when I really come face to experience a bit of peace.

I am fasting and eating healthy to improve my health, but also to go first. If there really is anything in this, its important I experience it first before I take any of my clients through it, otherwise I will have no understanding of what they are going through. A good personal trainer should walk the walk, and this is my way of walking it.

Plus a few slack weeks of 80/20 healthy eating have seen me get a slightly podgy tummy!

So at the end of the first day I feel absolutely fine, I had my last meal at 8:30 last night, I made sure to have a very healthy meal with lots of nutrients. Today I have been drinking mostly fruit tea and lots of water. I also had a great workout, with no loss of strength, getting some good Olympic lifts out.

There are many more reasons why I am doing this, and I want to point out that this is not for everyone, for example breast feeding women should not fast, nor should diabetics or people with low thyroids and it should especially be avoided by people with a history of eating disorders. I should also point out that I have helped hundred of people to lose weight, without fasting. This is just another interesting tool in my box, that I may decided to use if the situation is right.

Tomorrow I will go over the science behind fasting, and let you know how I get on with my 2nd day.




No comments:

Post a Comment